Thursday, January 6, 2011

EvilEva reviews... How To Say Goodbye In Robot

EvilEva reviews...... How To Say Goodbye In Robot by Natalie Standiford.  


Bea is used to being the new girl. So when her dad gets a job in Baltimore during her senior year, she's not that torn up about the move. 
She'll make friends, she'll graduate and she'll blow this pop stand for a life of her own. 
She never expects to find a best friend but that's exactly what happens when she meets Jonah, aka Ghost Boy. They share secrets, confessions and a love for the Night Light radio show. 
But will Bea be able to let go of this new found friendship to pursue what she wants? Or will she give up everything for a Ghost? 

I wanted to like this book because I'm somewhat of a Robot Girl myself (*beep,bop,boop*) and in high school I had my own Ghost Boy. We were best friends and nothing more and no one ever believed us. 
So when I read the blurb on the back of the book:
"It's not exactly romance- but it's definitely love. And it means more to them than either one can ever really know..." 
I thought I would, for sure, connect with this book and these characters. But I didn't. 
To me, Jonah wasn't that great of a friend to Bea. Everything they did or didn't do hinged on what he wanted and how he felt. Bea did a lot of bending for Jonah, substituting her wishes for his. I felt like Jonah was very controlling in their relationship. And that's not how a friend should be.

There were a few times when i wished Bea would've just said "Fuck Jonah," and then gone and hung out with Walt instead.
I would've much preferred Walt as my Ghost Boy. He was funny and sweet and not featured nearly enough. I wish Bea had given him more of a chance. 

I didn't really understand the deal with Bea's mom. Half of the book she's acting all nutsy and then there's a reveal of sorts to explain her complete nuttery and then after that confession, it's like she's cured. No more Mama Nutcase. I didn't find that believable in the least. In fact, I found her mother's whole purpose to be rather pointless. 

There were a few funny parts in the book though. 
My favorite scene was when Tom and Walt were giving Bea a guided tour of a typical Canton party.
I also liked Kreplax and his idea for a Party for People from the Future. (What can I say? I love a good theme party!) 

I think the premise of the book is an intriguing one, a not-love story. A story where the two main characters don't actually fall in love at the end. They don't realize suddenly that it's been this person all along. Sometimes there really is just friendship. And that's enough but sometimes even more than you could imagine. 

So, I think the idea of the book is lovely. But, for me, the execution fell a little flat. But maybe that's because I had a Ghost Boy, so I was expecting too much. 

The Scale of Judgment says...... 2 and a half. Or *bee,blee,bo* in Robot. ;) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment