Monday, December 20, 2010

EvilEva reviews... Zombies vs. Unicorns

EvilEva reviews...... Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier. 


Zombies vs. Unicorns is an anthology arguing the merits of zombies over unicorns and vice versa by some of today's hottest YA authors. 

Joining Justine Larbalestier on Team Zombie are:

*Libba Bray
*Cassandra Clare
*Alaya Dawn Johnson
*Maureen Johnson
*Carrie Ryan
*Scott Westerfeld

And siding with Holly Black for Team Unicorn are:

*Meg Cabot
*Kathleen Duey
*Margo Lanagan
*Garth Nix
*Naomi Novik
*Diana Peterfreund

The book jacket asks: Are you Team Zombie or Team Unicorn? And truthfully, after reading all 12 stories I'm no closer to answering that question than when I started the book. I will try to look at this logically though. So based on the following criteria, I will be able to give you my answer by the end of this review.

First: Who had the better stories? 
My favorite was "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Alaya Dawn Johnson. A lovely story about a gay zombie obsessed with music, mac and cheese, and a certain lacrosse player.
I also liked Cassandra Clare's story "Cold Hands," "Bougainvillea" by Carrie Ryan, and Maureen Johnson's "The Children of the Revolution." 
And of course I liked Meg Cabot's contribution "Princess Prettypants," as well as Diana Peterfreund's "The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn." 
So that's four zombie stories to a mere two unicorns. 
Advantage: Zombie.

Second, for all of you that are like me, complete cover sluts!, lets dissect the cover now, shall we?
I heart this cover! It's like Where's Waldo for the deeply disturbed! I think the unicorns come off a little bit better than the zombies here. The unicorns look like a united front, all working together to rid the world of the zombies. The zombies look less organized. There's one here. There's one there. On the front of the book, a zombie even seems to be attacking another zombie. It's sheer zombie madness out there!
So I'm gonna have to give this round to Team Unicorn.

Third, who would win in an arm wrestling match?
Well, unicorns don't have arms and zombies limbs fall off so willy-nilly. I don't think either would stand a chance winning at arm wrestling.
Therefore, point goes to no one.

Well dammit. After three rounds of thought provoking questions, it's tied 1 to 1.
You know what that means, right? 

The winner is.............. A Zombie Unicorn!

Now. About that cover.
See if you can find...

*A zombie skating on unicorn horns
*A discarded dagger
*2 purse-carrying zombies
*5 skeletons
*2 beheaded unicorns
*3 blue brains
*2 pink hats
*A turtle
*A pair of eyeglasses
*And 2 weird bird-headed people (Yeah. You read me right. Bird-headed people! Take a look if you don't believe me. Bird-Headed People! Hey, maybe that is the answer to this great debate. Zombies or Unicorns? Neither. Team Bird-Headed People!)

The Scale of Judgment says...... 3.



No comments:

Post a Comment